Wednesday, March 9, 2016
Tips for Creating an Inclusive, Respectful Learning Environment
As a leader, you want to do everything you can to be the best and most effective leader possible, and while there are many things to keep in mind, one important thing is to remember is to create an inclusive learning environment for the members of your group.
Creating an inclusive work environment is an effective way to make all employees feel comfortable and welcome within your workspace. Fostering this type of environment will likely enhance employee happiness and perhaps even productivity. Crafting an environment of this type, however, requires efforts toward helping workers overcome their fears of the unknown and even prejudices they may potentially be harboring.
Creating a learning environment that values diversity takes many factors into consideration. An inclusive, respectful environment will maximize learner engagement within the learning program.
Managers may incorporate multiple theories, methods and resources to create an inclusive, respectful learning environment. Suggestions include:
1. Develop awareness of biases and assumptions about culture, age, gender, educational background, etc.
2. Be aware of and understand individual differences in addition to cultural differences.
3. Use inclusive language and avoid stereotyping.
4. Involve learners and/or content experts in the learning process, especially in planning.
5. Be flexible in planning and delivery of learning programs.
6. Use a variety of media in learning activities to address multiple learning styles and personality types.
7. Value contributions from individuals, as well as groups and communities.
8. Clearly explain the purpose and anticipated outcome for activities to help establish a common understanding among learners.
9. Be prepared with support or referrals in case learners experience difficult emotions that arise from the reflection process.
Creating an inclusive work environment is an effective way to make all employees feel comfortable and welcome within your workspace. Fostering this type of environment will likely enhance employee happiness and perhaps even productivity. An inclusive environment is one in which members feel comfortable due to the respect and relationships between each other. Openness and honesty emerge, thus making for great synergy, satisfaction and learning.